6 Ways to Help Families Make Spiritual Growth and Outreach an Everyday Thing
Do you ever wonder how much of an effect you’re having on families’ in terms of spiritual growth and outreach when they wake up on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday and Friday and Saturday?
As I say often, at the church I serve at our biggest goal is to help families integrate spirituality and God into their daily rhythms.
I’ve written multiple posts about different aspects of how we accomplish that, but I’ve never presented the strategy as a coherent whole.
And it’s important to see how a strategy all fits together, not that I think our strategy is the best or that you should copy it, but because it’s never just 1 thing that helps families become more spiritual.
So with no further ado; here’s the 6 things we do to encourage families to participate in spiritual growth and outreach and how they all fit together.
(1) On the Drive Home Questions for Parents (On the Family Guide) and Kids (Separate slip of paper):
(2) Outreach Idea (Also on the Family Guide):
(3) 4 Day Family Devo (Also on the Family Guide). Here’s what everything looks like together. If it would be helpful, you can download this Family Guide here: https://cloudup.com/ih033h8Ozdn.
(4) An email sent at 1 PM (~1 hour after our 2nd service) with a 2-minute video about the bottom line, the month’s main idea, the family guide, a link for online giving, and a parenting article (Here’s a link to the full email http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=9fb648e88891fb93480ab9e52&id=7d68f89834):
(You can see the full email with the article text by clicking the link to the email above)
(5) An email sent at 7:00 PM reminding parents of our outreach idea and sharing stories and pictures from families doing it (Here’s a link to the full email: http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=9fb648e88891fb93480ab9e52&id=3f5e3dca48):
(6) A text encouraging families to participate in our outreach idea and share their experiences with it (Wk 1- Intro the Idea, Wk 2- Review the Idea, Wk 3- Collect Pictures and Stories, Wk 4- Remind Families there’s only a few days left):
We use an app called Might Text which is $5/month, which uses your phone number and allows you to schedule texts (We usually schedule 2-3 weeks out).
So that’s what we do outside of Sunday services to help families integrate spiritual growth and outreach in their everydays.
Our strategy is designed around our churches’ mission, which is 2-fold: 1) Help people (families) grow more passionate in their relationship with Jesus and 2) Help people (families) invite everyone they know to the same relationship.
If there’s anything you’d like a copy of or have a question about, leave a comment.
And if this was helpful, please share!
Latest posts by Brandon Horst (see all)
- What I Learned at a Retreat with Jim Wideman, His Family, and Other Kid’s Pastors - February 9, 2018
- 6 Free Online Resources for Parents at Your Church - February 2, 2018
- How to Receive Weekly Feedback from Volunteers - January 19, 2018